Tuesday, December 5, 2017
Every now and again a client will bring in something and not even know what it is, let alone know what’s on it. Most of the time it’s something I’ve seen or worked on before. But not always.
Technology sometimes can seem to us to advance in giant leaps. First there was film, then videotape, then digital files… But as the industry went from one media type to another, a lot of products were rolled out by companies trying to capture the market’s attention. Some were successful, others not so much. As a result there are a lot of unfamiliar items, now obsolete, collecting dust in people’s drawers and closets.
The pictured item is a mini-Disc (MD) that was first produced by Sony. It was a precursor to the CD (compact disc) designed to hold data or 74 minutes of audio (later 80 minutes). Introduced in 1992, it reached its height of popularity in Japan but never found much traction in the United States where manufacturers seemed more interested in pursuing a competing format called Digital Compact Cassette (DCC) that was created by Philips and Matsushita.
Both eventually gave way to the widespread appeal of the compact disc (CD) and MP3 players. The MD largely faded from view in the early 2000s and Sony eventually ceased its production line of MD players in 2013.
I can remember a good friend of mine buying an MD recorder and I envied him. But then the recordable compact disk (CD-R) came out. Then my friend was envying me!
Arthur Zepeda and Home Video Studio in Visalia specialize in the preservation of family memories and yes, we can transfer the memories from MD discs and store them on CDs or as MP3 files. We can transfer so many different formats! For more information, call 559-732-3050 or visit http://www.homevideostudio.com/art
Monday, November 27, 2017
Friday, November 10, 2017
The Holiday Season is upon us! Christmas means that once again hearts will turn toward home and families will gather to share their lives and bask in the warmth of this wonderful time. Did you know video was made for this season?
- Do you have 8mm or 16mm home movies? They are priceless! Transfer them to a Platinum Archival DVD. This scratch-proof DVD is exclusively ours, and is rated to last many, many years. You and your loved ones will enjoy them for the decades to come!
- What about all the tapes you have of your kids’ first days, first steps, and first dates? There’s a lot of your life contained on those VHS, VHS-C, 8mm, and Mini DV’s. Make sure you keep those memories safe by transferring them to Platinum Archival DVD as well. We'll transfer them all onto a convenient and long-lasting Platinum Archival disc - complete with scene selection and menu.
- Do something with those still photos and 35mm slides! Are they sitting around in boxes? A Photo Video Keepsake will take your favorite photos and slides and produce a one-of-a-kind work of art complete with titles, special effects and music. And think of the space you’ll save putting all your stills on a DVD or thumb drive! Plus you and your loved ones will enjoy these precious images even more when they are digitized and convenient.
- What are you doing with your smartphone videos? Instead of sending traditional paper greeting cards, how about putting some of the year’s video clips on a DVD video Christmas card? What about the videos you shoot during your family get-togethers? We can edit your video clips from before, during, and after Christmas into a creative family video. Don’t leave your videos from this special time on your phone! Let’s get creative!
Here are three reasons why Home Video Studio should be your first call this Holiday Season.
1. Your home movies, tapes, photos, slides, and recent videos all make great gifts.
- What’s more unique and heartfelt than lasting memories of those you love?
- Attractive packaging. Custom labeling and beautiful, artistic album cases available.
- What if you (gasp) forget someone? Extra copies of anything are a quick phone call away!
- We also have attractive gift certificates!
2. Your home movies, tapes, photos, slides, and recent videos all make great entertainment.
- Once your video gifts are opened the whole family can enjoy them immediately.
- Video is something young and old will enjoy together.
3. We can help you make new memories
- With the family in one place it’s time to shoot more video and stills.
- Let us help you get creative and plan for the upcoming year.
Call us! Thanksgiving is days away and Christmas is right on its heels. Let's put our heads together to make this the best Holiday season ever! If you start thinking now there's no telling what your creative mind will dream up to make a most memorable Holiday gift.
Don’t delay. Christmas is only weeks away!
Thursday, November 9, 2017
The Benefits of Transferring VHS to Digital in Bulk
The Professional VHS Transfer Process
Bulk Transfers That Never Compromise on Quality
Relive Your Memories Over and Over
The Holiday Season is nearly upon us! Thanksgiving is days away, with Christmas right on its heels. Here's some good news. You may already have the perfect gift for everyone. All you need is the wrapping!!
The gift? All the good times, special events, cherished moments and love that your family has captured through the years on 8mm and 16mm film, video tape, slides, photos and smartphones.
The wrapping? Why not wrap these precious memories together onto a DVD? All you need to do is gather them all together and call us today!
Video was made for this season!
- Do you have 8mm or 16mm home movies? They are priceless! Transfer them to our exclusive Platinum Archival 45 DVD. This scratch-proof DVD is rated to last many years. You and your loved ones will enjoy them for the decades to come!
- Where are all your video tapes? There's a lot of your life contained on those VHS, VHS-C, 8mm, and Mini DV's. Keep those memories safe for your kids and grandkids! Transfer them to Platinum Archival DVD as well - complete with scene selection and menu.
- Are your photos sitting in boxes? Are your 35mm slides stacked in carousels? How about getting them digitized for convenient and safe storage! Call us for state-of-the-art photo and slide transfers so you and the generations to come can enjoy them!
- Create a PhotoVideo Keepsake for the centerpiece of your occasion. Imagine grandparents, parents and children enjoying a heartwarming "through the years" montage.
- DVDs look great! We provide attractive labeling and we can also customize for you.
- We can make copies. DVDs make great stocking stuffers!
- DVDs are convenient last second gifts! Unexpected Holiday surprises? We're a phone call away.
- We offer attractive Gift Certificates as well!
Thursday, October 12, 2017
Understanding Media Conversion
What Is VHS to DVD Conversion?
Why Should You Have Your Tapes Converted?
Video Transfer: 3 Reasons to Upgrade to DVDs
1. They Are Easier to Use Online
2. You Can Store More Memories Using Less Space
3. VHS Tapes Are Borderline Obsolete
- Tape Twine: A 60-minute cassette contains as much as 285 feet of strong tape that can be used for a lot of household applications. In the garden, you can use it to tie flowers or vegetables to a main support. You can also bundle recyclable newspapers with it or use it to wrap gifts in a unique way.
- Storage: Tapes offer small to large storage solutions. Put a few together, and you have something to put on your table to organize your pens and office trinkets. Combine a hundred more with a strong adhesive, and you have yourself a nostalgic storage box.
- Retro Holder: If you crack a cassette tape open and take out the insides, the case can be repurposed into a card holder, an iPod® touch case, or a wallet. You can personalize it further by using the cassette tape of your favorite music artist.
- Stylish Lamp: Translucent cassette tapes can be transformed into beautiful, eco-friendly light sources. If you have an ample supply of tapes, glue them together to form your desired shape and size. Use DIY lamp making parts or lighting kits, which can usually be found at your local craft store, to make the project easier.
- Audio Transfer: One of the best ways to preserve your favorite cassette tape is to have it converted to a digital format. This way, you can still listen to old recordings in whatever modern platform you’re currently using.
- Moisture: Humidity is one of your tapes’ worst enemies. Moisture can seep into the tape reel, causing it to become sticky and rendering it unwatchable. To avoid this issue, store tapes in cool, dry places.
- Demagnetization: Magnets are also known to wreak havoc on tapes. A tape’s magnetic particles are actually responsible for storing the recording, so keep any magnets far away from your tapes to prevent distortion.
- Poor-Quality Equipment: If you’re using decades-old equipment to play your videos, you could risk the quality of your tapes. Players have limited life spans, so make sure your equipment doesn’t have dust, grime, or loose parts before inserting tapes.
- Overuse: Watching a video too many times can weaken the tape reel. If there’s a treasured video, such as one with wedding footage or a family vacation, seek out video transfer service so you can secure a backup before video quality becomes compromised.
- Loss of Particle Charge: Even if you keep your tapes far away from any magnets, the particles will still weaken over time. Using video transfer services to upgrade to DVDs is the simplest way to prevent losing memories.